Communication and Media Arts
Students in the Communication and Media Arts major are trained to become “Media Arts Specialists.” They study a variety of courses emphasizing audience analysis and content delivery through audio, video, written and spoken communication. Graduates are prepared to approach professional tasks and projects with confidence, competence, and creativity in outlets such as journalism, radio, television, web-based production, social media, public relations and advertising. As part of their study,l CMA students are strongly encouraged to complete a minor.
Upon completion of this program, the graduate will earn a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Communication and Media Arts and will be able to do the following:
Demonstrate the integration of the Franciscan Values of reverence, Integrity Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
• Demonstrated and delivered through service learning opportunities and a value driven approach to the industry.
Command a working knowledge of the media industry.
• Demonstrated through various professional tasks, appropriate use of jargon, acquisition of skill sets of the industry and co-op experience.
Create and deliver oral, written, audio and video content.
• Demonstrated through activities such as website design, illustration, animations, brochures, corporate reports, radio broadcasts, consumer literature, and video projects.
Create and deliver projects and messages appropriate for different audiences and objectives.
• Demonstrated through engagement in researching, informing, performing, entertaining, persuading, and adjusting communication relevant to desired audience outcome.
Candidates for admission to the Communication and Media Arts major are required to:
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher in all major and allied requirements as well as all Communication and Media Arts courses taken prior to admission to the major.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.
- Make formal application to the major, preferably in the Fall semester of the sophomore year. Students must also successfully complete ENG 102 Rhetoric and Writing II , and CA 110 Introduction to Communication , both with a minimum grade of “C.”
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Communication and Media Arts major requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
- Achieve a minimum grade of “C” in every major and allied course requirement.
- Complete a minimum of 122 credits.
Cooperative Education Requirement
Students are required to complete a minimum of three (3) credits in Cooperative Education in areas related to Communication and Media Arts. See CA 394-396 , CA 494-496 in the Course Descriptions section of this catalog for specific details pertaining to this experience.