Liberal Studies Accelerated Baccalaureate Degree Program
The Liberal Studies Accelerated Baccalaureate Degree Program at Neumann University has been serving adult students in the Delaware Valley since 1974. The program is designed to provide adult learners who may have earned some previous college credits, or who did not attend college after high school, the opportunity to complete the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. The uniqueness of this educational opportunity is found in the program’s 6-credit seminar courses, which enable working adult students to attend classes in the evening, online, and/or in a hybrid format. These seminars blend learning approaches, thereby allowing students to learn theoretical material and apply that theory through the development of Experiential Learning Projects (ELPs). Often projects can be developed that are helpful to students at their place of employment or with their personal or career goals. Students may attend classes on either a parttime (1-11 credits) or full-time (12-19 credits) basis. Liberal Studies courses are available in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
In addition to meeting the Goals and Learning Outcomes of Neumann University’s Core Curriculum, as described in the Core Curriculum - Goals and Learning Outcomes section of this catalog and upon completion of all degree requirements, graduates of the Liberal Studies Degree Program will be able to:
- Utilize writing and oral communication skills developed through written and oral assignments in a variety of disciplines;
- Demonstrate application of knowledge learned in a selected area of concentration to work environments and life situations through the development of Experiential Learning Projects;
- Demonstrate ability to think critically and creatively about problem solving;
- Describe the diversity of cultures and peoples in the world through many perspectives; and
- Demonstrate commitment to continuing a lifetime of learning.
Any student 21 years or older who has either completed high school, or earned a GED, may apply to the Liberal Studies Accelerated Baccalaureate Degree Program. Application procedures are detailed in the Admissions Information section of this catalog.
Students in the Liberal Studies Accelerated Baccalaureate Degree Program must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 to progress through the program.
The Liberal Studies Accelerated Baccalaureate Degree Program offers many additional options for acceleration in addition to the 6-credit seminars. These options include:
- Portfolio Assessment of prior college-level learning.
- Challenge Examinations.
- CLEP Examinations.
- Credit for course work completed through the Department of Defense/DANTES, or from corporations offering courses which have been evaluated for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE).
- Independent Study Projects.
For additional information about any of the above options, please consult the appropriate section of this catalog; or contact the Continuing Adult and Professional Studies Office at 610-558-5529.
Tuition for all 6-credit seminar courses is calculated on a per-credit basis. For additional information, please consult the Tuition and Expenses section of this catalog.
In addition to the University’s general requirements for graduation, the following must be completed:
- For the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science: A minimum of 120 credits in Liberal Studies with a 2.00 minimum cumulative GPA.
Academic Concentrations and Certificate Programs
Academic concentrations are available with either the B.A. or B.S. degrees in Liberal Studies, and consist of five 6-credit seminar courses which total 30 credits. The first of these five courses is an introduction to the specific discipline, and the last is a capstone course which provides current information about the discipline. Three other courses dealing with discipline-specific topics complete the concentration. These academic concentrations may also be taken as Certificate Programs, independent of an actual baccalaureate degree. The curricular requirements for the academic concentrations listed below are presented in their required sequence. All requirements for any academic concentration or Certificate in the Liberal Studies Accelerated Degree Program must be completed with a grade of “C” or better; and a minimum 50% of all required credits must be earned at Neumann University. In addition, the student must also maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 as well as secure the approval of the Dean. For additional information, please refer to the Certificate Programs section of this catalog for admission criteria and to the Course Descriptions section for prerequisite information.