2015-2016 Graduate Catalog Archived Catalog
Administrative Certificate: Principal K-12
Neumann University’s graduate program leading to the Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12 is consistent with, and driven by, the University’s Mission Statement. Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, in accord with the Pennsylvania Inspired Leaders Competencies, this program qualifies this program qualifies professionals to serve as elementary, middle, and secondary level principals, and as a supervisor of a single instructional or single pupil service area. This program offers the knowledge and skills necessary to direct, operate, supervise, and administer the organizational and general educational activities of a school. A six-credit, 365-day internship and successful completion of the state-mandated test are required for the principal certification. (21 credits)
Successful graduates of Neumann University’s Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12will be able to meet the Core and Corollary Standards outlined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for principal preparation. They are as follows:
- Knowledge and skills to think and plan strategically creating an organizational vision around personalized student success.
- An understanding of standards-based systems theory and design and the ability to transfer that knowledge to the leader’s job as an architect of standards based reform in the school.
- The ability to access and use appropriate data to inform decision-making at all levels of the system.
- Creating a culture of teaching and learning with an emphasis on learning.
- Managing resources for effective results.
- Collaborating, communicating, engaging and empowering others inside and outside the organization to pursue excellence in learning.
- Operating in a fair and equitable manner with personal and professional integrity.
- Advocating for children and public education in the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural context.
- Supporting professional growth of self and others through practice and inquiry.
The Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12 program requires a total of 21 graduate credits which are specified in the Program Curriculum. Admission into the program requires six credits in special education. To be eligible for Principal PK-12 Certification, a 6-credit internship: EDU 577 Principal Certification Internship , in addition to the five other required courses listed below in the Program Curriculum, is required. EDU 577 consists of a 360-hour learning experience which includes classroom and field activities, the latter of which requires a 180-hour, site-based internship. EDU 577 is taken after all program requirements have been successfully completed. In addition to these curricular requirements, the student must also satisfactorily complete the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s mandated assessment, have a chief school administrator’s verification of five years of satisfactory and appropriate school experience, and meet all other requirements stipulated by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania law.
Applicants who have completed an approved program of graduate study in educational leadership from a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution who have successfully completed all prerequisite courses are eligible for entrance to the Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12, subject to the approval of the Program Director. Acceptance is on a competitive basis after submission of all credentials and an interview with the Program Director. All applicants must submit the following:
- A completed Graduate Student Application, in print or online through www.neumann.edu.
- Proof of completion of an approved program of graduate study in educational leadership from a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution (required minimum graduate GPA is 3.00) and official transcripts from each regionally accredited, degree granting institution attended.
- Provides verification of three years of relevant professional experience. For the purpose of this section, relevant professional experience is “professional experience in an educational setting that is related to the educational process.
- Letter of intent which outlines why you wish to pursue the Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12.
- Three names and telephone numbers of professional references.
- A copy of current teacher certification.
Possess six credits in special education (If students do not have 6 credits in special education prior to the start of the program, the requirement can be met through program coursework.)
Nine credits may be transferred into the program with the approval of the Division Dean.
Once all admission materials have been received and processed through the Office of Admissions, the Graduate Program Director will arrange for an interview, if appropriate, following a review of all candidate credentials.
For the Administrative Certificate: Principal PK-12, continued progress requires that the student maintain an overall “B” average (cumulative 3.00 GPA) in the required courses and satisfactory participation in the program. Completion of all degree requirements for the program is not to exceed five years. Exemption to this time limitation must be applied for in a written request to the Division Dean. Graduation from the program is contingent upon (1) submitting a signed Application for Graduation form to the Registrar on or before the date specified in the Academic Calendar; and (2) successful completion of all course work, including report(s) of action research, an effective, formal presentation of learning to a faculty committee, and an individual portfolio of developed resources and materials. The student must maintain an overall “B” average (cumulative 3.00 GPA) in all required courses, with no more than two grades of “C” level work. A six-credit, 365-day internship and successful completion of the state test are required for the principal certification. Pennsylvania Department of Education also requires candidates to complete an approved program of graduate study in educational leadership and presents evidence of satisfactory achievement on the Praxis Test required for administrative certification.