The Liberal Arts major is the University’s most flexible academic program. The major is designed for self-motivated students with interests and passions that might not neatly fit into a traditional disciplinary model of education. For entrepreneurial students whose skills and interests cross disciplines or professions, for creative students who want to explore multiple avenues of personal development, or for multi-talented students who want to expand their options for careers after college, this program empowers them to design their own educational path to meet their personal and professional goals.
Students will select their courses from a wide range of disciplines, but each individual program will have coherence and a convincing rationale for its structure. Academic advisors will work with the student and faculty from relevant fields to design a program plan for completing the major within specified parameters. Part of that program plan will be a focused combination of academic minors and/or concentrations so that each student has the depth of learning necessary in the primary subject areas. The student is also engaged with on-going career development to explore career options and to prepare for job searches or continuing education.
A student who wants a uniquely personal education will have the choices and responsibilities for their future in their own hands with a Liberal Arts degree.
Upon completion of this program, the graduate will earn a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Liberal Arts and will:
- Communicate clearly and persuasively, using a wide variety of examples.
- Read, write, speak, and listen with discrimination and logical judgment.
- Analyze, problem solve, and evaluate in a thoughtful manner.
- Apply the insights of great writers and thinkers from a broad sampling of academic areas.
Candidates for admission to the Liberal Arts major are required to:
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 at the time of application to the major.
- Make formal application to the major in the Fall semester of the sophomore year.
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Liberal Arts major leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.
- Receive a minimum grade of “C” in every major course requirement.
- Complete a minimum of 122 credits.
Students in the major are encouraged to complete a minimum of three (3) credits of an internship experience in settings related to Liberal Arts. See A&S 495 for specific details pertaining to this experience.