122 Credits Required for MKT, B.S. Degree
The Marketing major offers career-minded students the opportunity to achieve a broad understanding of the major areas of business, while gaining specialized knowledge in the field of marketing. Marketing majors are prepared to secure challenging managerial careers in a variety of fields, such as product management, advertising, sales, retail management, and marketing research.
The Marketing major is designed to introduce students to areas that are critical to an understanding of how businesses operate: economics, finance, accounting, management, and marketing, and information systems. In addition to this common foundation, each student is exposed to the critical areas of marketing, i.e., consumer behavior, marketing research, and the elements that comprise a cohesive marketing strategy. Classroom teaching and exercises are supplemented by practical experience through the completion of a marketing internship with a local business. Thus, students gain both the breadth and depth of knowledge which are necessary for future success in a variety of marketing careers.
Neumann University’s Marketing major is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, 11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213; Telephone: 913-339-9356, Fax: 913-339-6226; or www.acbsp.org.
In addition to meeting Business Division program outcomes, upon successful completion of this program, the graduate with a major in Marketing will:
- Understand the role of marketing within the overall economy and the importance of marketing to the success of both for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- Understand the steps of a marketing strategy, including the identification of target markets and the development of a marketing plan.
- Understand the importance of the congruence of the marketing mix with an organization’s mission and objectives.
- Be prepared to embark on a marketing career in a variety of organizational settings.
Candidates for admission to the Marketing major are required to:
- Have a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credits (and up to 75 credits), including the general business, major, and NU core requirements specific to the Marketing major that are listed in the first year of the Recommended Four-Year Plan detailed below. Transfer students from another regionally accredited college or university, or from another division from within Neumann University, must have their application to the major reviewed by the Dean of Business and Information Management after their first semester of taking Division of Business and Information Management courses at Neumann.
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Marketing major leading to a Bachelor of Science degree requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher for all general business, major, and NU core requirements specific to the Marketing major.
- Complete a minimum of 122 credits.
Division Repeat Policy
- General business, major, and NU core requirements specific to Marketing may only be repeated once. Students must have written permission from the Dean of Business and Information Management to take a course for the third time.
- In total, only three different general business, major, or NU core requirements specific to Marketing may be repeated.
- Failure to earn a grade of “C” or better for general business, major, or NU core requirements specific to Marketing may result in dismissal from the Division.