The undergraduate Sport Management Program at Neumann University, while embracing the missions of the University and the Division of Business and Information Management, specifically addresses the need to educate and prepare individuals for the diverse and ever-growing global sport industry as well as future graduate study. While instilling the theories and skills that are necessary to succeed in this industry, the Program is mindful of the need to include social awareness and ethical values in discussions and decision-making practices. The Sport Management Program is committed to producing quality managers, administrators, executives, and citizens.
In addition to meeting Business Division program outcomes, upon successful completion of the Sport Management Major, students will:
Describe the key concepts, trends and industry organizations as a foundational knowledge base within the field of sport management.
Demonstrate effective communication skills through oral and written techniques.
Recognize and apply the Neumann RISES values in the area of sport management.
Demonstrate the practices of decision-making and teamwork in order to thrive in the competitive, diverse sport management marketplace.
Analyze situations and issues faced by sport industry professionals using critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Candidates for admission to the Sport Management major leading to the Bachelor of Science degree are required to:
- Have a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credits (and up to 75 credits), including the general business, major, and NU core requirements specific to the Sport Management major that are listed in the first year of the Recommended Four-Year Plan detailed below. Transfer students from another regionally accredited college or university, or from another division from within Neumann University, must have their application to the major reviewed by the Dean of Business and Information Management after their first semester of taking Division of Business and Information Management courses at Neumann.
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Sport Management major leading to the Bachelor of Science degree requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher for all general business, major, and NU core requirements specific to the Sport Management major.
- Complete a minimum of 122 credits.
Division Repeat Policy
General business, major, and NU core requirements specific to Sport Management may only be repeated once. Students must have written permission from the Dean of Business and Information Management to take a course for the third time.
In total, only three different general business, major, or NU core requirements specific to Sport Management may be repeated.
Failure to earn a grade of “C” or better for general business, major, or NU core requirements specific to Sport Management may result in dismissal from the Division
MS Sport Business Admission requirements:
- Specified coursework at undergrad level and/or work experience
- 3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA, which can be waived by the program director.
- Admitted as a non-matriculated student, with a 3.0 GPA in the first two classes to allow matriculation.
- In-person interview with program director (phone or Skype when necessary)
- 3 letters of professional or academic recommendation
- Letter of professional intent
Equivalent undergraduate coursework:
(MGT 100) Principles of Management
(MKT 100) Principles of Marketing
(ACT 103) Intro to Accounting
(MATH 102) Statistics
* Students not meeting the academic qualifications may take coursework as a pre-requisite to program admission. Relevant work experience may substitute.