The Marketing major offers career-minded students the opportunity to achieve a broad understanding of the major areas of business, while gaining specialized knowledge in the field of marketing. Marketing majors are prepared to secure challenging managerial careers in a variety of fields, such as product management, advertising, sales, retail management, and marketing research.
The Marketing major is designed to introduce students to areas that are critical to an understanding of how businesses operate: economics, finance, accounting, management, and marketing. In addition to this common foundation, each student is exposed to the critical areas of marketing, i.e., consumer behavior, marketing research, and the elements which comprise a cohesive marketing strategy. Classroom teaching and exercises are supplemented by practical experience through the completion of a Cooperative Education placement in marketing with a local business. Thus, students gain both the breadth and depth of knowledge which are necessary for future success in a variety of marketing careers.
Neumann University’s Marketing Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, 11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213; Telephone: 913-339-9356, Fax: 913-339-6226; or www.acbsp.org.
In addition to meeting Business Division program outcomes, upon successful completion of this program, the graduate will earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Marketing and will:
- Understand the role of marketing within the overall economy and the importance of marketing to the success of both for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- Understand the steps of a marketing strategy, including the identification of target markets and the development of a marketing plan.
- Understand the importance of the congruence of the marketing mix with an organization’s mission and objectives.
- Be prepared to embark on a marketing career in a variety of organizational settings.
Candidates for admission to the Marketing major are required to:
- Have earned a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credits, including the business, major, and allied requirements that are listed in the first year of the suggested Four-Year Curriculum Plan for the Marketing major, but no more than 75 credits total. Transfer students from another regionally accredited college or university, or from another Division from within Neumann University, must have their application to the major reviewed by the Dean of Business and Information Management after their first semester of taking Business courses at Neumann.
- Participate in the Division’s New Major Orientation Program.
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Marketing major leading to a Bachelor of Science degree requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher for all general business, major, and allied requirements.
- Complete a minimum of 125 credits.
Division Repeat Policy
- Major, business, and allied requirements can only be repeated once. Students must have written permission from the Dean to take a major, business, or allied requirement for the third time.
- At most, only three (3) different major, business, or allied requirements may be repeated.
- Failure to earn a grade of “C” or better for repeated major, business, or allied requirements may result in dismissal from the Division.
Cooperative Education Requirement
Students are required to complete a minimum of three (3) credits in Cooperative Education in those areas which are related to Marketing. Students must be of junior or senior status to enroll in Cooperative Education, and have been previously admitted to the major. Students with practical experience in Marketing may apply to the Dean of the Division of Business and Information Management for a waiver of this requirement. If waived, these credits must be taken as General Electives.