Sport and Entertainment Management
The Sport and Entertainment Management major offers career-minded students the opportunity to gain a broad-based understanding of the major areas of sport and entertainment management. Graduates in Sport and Entertainment Management move on to challenging and exciting careers in amateur and professional sport; sport management and marketing companies; sport and recreation facilities; nonprofit organizations; as well as health, fitness, and sport clubs.
The Sport and Entertainment Management major is designed to prepare students to blend general management skills with the specific demands of managing sport organizations. Sport and Entertainment Management majors acquire a strong foundation in management, finance, accounting, marketing, communications, ethics, and legal aspects of business. Specific courses provide students with an understanding of the role of sport and entertainment in society, the role of management, and the opportunities to apply their knowledge in sport-related organizations. Students supplement classroom teaching with a variety of experiential activities, such as field trips and working in sport and entertainment management settings through completion of a Cooperative Education placement. Students in Sport and Entertainment Management gain both the knowledge and practical experiences which are necessary for their future success in a variety of sport management careers.
The Division of Business and Information Management also offers a five-year Sport and Entertainment Management B.S./M.S. option for those students who plan to pursue a Master of Science degree in Sport and Entertainment Management immediately following their receipt of the Bachelor of Science degree in Sport and Entertainment Management. Additional information about this option can be found in this section of the catalog or by calling the Director of the Sport and Entertainment Management Program at 610-361-5291.
The undergraduate Sport and Entertainment Management Program at Neumann University, while embracing the missions of the University and the Division of Business and Information Management, specifically addresses the need to educate and prepare individuals for the diverse and ever-growing global sport and entertainment industry as well as future graduate study. While instilling the theories and skills that are necessary to succeed in this industry, the Program is mindful of the need to include social awareness and ethical values in discussions and decision-making practices. The Sport and Entertainment Management Program is committed to producing quality managers, administrators, executives, and citizens.
Neumann University is a member of the Sport Management Program Review Council of the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), NASSM Business Office, West Gym 014, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057; Telephone: 724-738-4812; Fax: 724-738-4858; E-mail: email@example.com ; or www.nassm.org. The undergraduate program in Sport and Entertainment Management is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA); COSMA Business Office, c/o NASPE, 1900 Association Drive, Reston, VA 20191; Telephone: 1-703-476-3400, Ext. 394, E-Mail: www.cosmaweb.org.
In addition to meeting Business Division program outcomes, upon successful completion of the Sport and Entertainment Management Major, students will:
- Use appropriate planning techniques for effective budgeting, marketing, and promotional activities for various events in the sport and entertainment arena.
- Examine the contributions of a variety of governing bodies in the sport and entertainment industry, and evaluate their influence on operations, decision-making, and the related community.
- Apply knowledge of regulations and legal aspects relative to sport and entertainment industry.
Candidates for admission to the Sport and Entertainment Management major leading to the Bachelor of Science degree are required to:
- Have a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credits, including the business, major, and allied requirements that are listed in the first year of the suggested Four-Year Curriculum Plan for the Sport and Entertainment Management major, but no more than 75 credits total. Transfer students from another regionally accredited college or university, or from another Division from within Neumann University, must have their application to the major reviewed by the Dean of Business and Information Management after their first semester of taking business courses at Neumann.
- Participate in the Division’s New Major Orientation Program.
Progression Criteria/Degree Requirements
Progression in the Sport and Entertainment Management major leading to the Bachelor of Science degree requires students to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher for all general, major, and allied requirements.
- Complete a minimum of 125 credits.
Division Repeat Policy
- Major, business, and allied requirements can only be repeated once. Students must have written permission from the Dean to take a major, business, or allied requirement for the third time.
- At most, only three (3) different major, business, or allied requirements may be repeated.
- Failure to earn a grade of “C” or better for repeated major, business, or allied requirements may result in dismissal from the Division.
Cooperative Education Requirement
Students are required to complete a minimum of six (6) credits in Cooperative Education in those areas which are related to Sport and Entertainment Management. Students must be of junior or senior status to enroll in Cooperative Education, and have been previously admitted to the major. Students with practical experience in Sport and Entertainment Management may apply to the Dean of the Division of Business and Information Management for a waiver of this requirement. If waived, these credits must be taken as General Electives.